Have you ever had a vacation that changed you from the inside, in a way that is almost indescribable? In July 2013, I had that experience. I went on the 4 day/3 night rafting trip and something shifted within me on a very deep level.
My word of the year for 2013 was "Nature". That word, "Nature", was like a guiding compass for the year and this trip fit nicely because you can't get much closer to nature than rafting the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. I still get choked up when I quiet myself and think about that experience because it brought such peace, calm and joy to my soul.
A few things I learned from my rafting adventure with Western River Expeditions are:
1. Simple things can bring so much joy and we really don't need a lot to be happy. In fact, discovering a stream with a small circle dam can create the purest joy and bring lots of laughs as it becomes and instant hot tub and a perfect place to bathe.
2. Seeing rock formations that are a billion years old and the vast colors of the canyon are mind blowing and will be etched in your heart forever.
3. Exploring nature and doing something out of your comfort zone with amazing guides and gourmet meals while camping can make you want to change how you take all future vacations and how you live your life.
4. Learning the ways of the river when it comes to going to the bathroom are completely uncomfortable at first, but you quickly adjust and are grateful for the littlest things. . . like a large cup in the middle of the night.
5. When you do something different, when you step out of the box, when you go off the beaten path, you can stretch your mind, body and soul in ways you never knew possible. When you let possibility be a part of your life and you step out of your comfort zone you just might find a part of you that you never knew existed.
My guiding word for 2014 is FLOW . . . as in ease. Let if flow. Go with the flow, like a river. This year's word, I have no doubt, was influenced by my trip, off the beaten path, rafting in the Grand Canyon. Flow is a state of being for me and I look forward to how my life will flow this year and my rafting trip in the Grand Canyon will always be a part of me that I will forever treasure close to my heart.
Ahhhhhh . . . tears flowing as I recognize how significant that trip was to me – I encourage you to go off the beaten path as it can forever change you in a way that will touch your heart forever.
Carrie – Ohio