Mile 25.5 - Cave Springs Rapids
As the Colorado River cut through its limestone bed, various underground caves carved by springs were intersected. These caves, now mostly dry, are visible throughout the canyon for several miles below the rapid. The Kolb Brothers expedition (1911-12) and the Colonel Birdseye expedition (1923), both noticed steel traps, cooking implements, and other tools left in the cave on the right side of the river by trappers and prospectors from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Some of these historic artifacts are still present today.