Mile 66 - Desert View Watchtower
The tower is the first stop for visitors entering the park from the east. Designed by the prolific southwestern architect Mary Jane Colter, the tower was built in 1932. Colter often included native materials in the buildings and structures she designed. In the case of the tower, Colter had it constructed with steel, then covered the frame with local stones. Visitors to the tower can climb the inner spiral staircase and look down on river runners from the top. Colter also designed the Bright Angel Lodge, Lookout Studio, and Hermit’s Rest, all located on the South Rim. She designed Phantom Ranch in the bottom of the canyon at Bright Angel Creek as well.