Mile 87.5 - Kaibab Suspension Bridge & Phantom Ranch
The Kaibab Bridge, originally a “swinging bridge”, was completed in 1921. In 1928, a much sturdier suspension bridge was built to replace the swinging bridge. Many of the supplies to build the bridge were hauled into the canyon from the rim by Havasupai men. Today river runners refer to the Kaibab Suspension Bridge as the “Black Bridge”. The bridge joins two of the main inner canyon trails, the North Kaibab and South Kaibab.